Sound Policy: Do I need the insurance the car rental service is trying to sell me?

There is one question we get all the time – if you’re going on vacation and rent a car, do you need to buy the insurance they sell at the counter? Not necessarily. If you have full coverage on your own car policy, meaning physical damage and liability coverage, that coverage will follow you on vacation to your rental car. Car rental companies do have some caveats that they may try to talk to you about – things like “diminution of value” and “loss of use”. Those are a couple of areas where they could charge you a few extra days. This typically happens if you have an accident that keeps the rental car out of service. However, most of our carriers will even cover that as well. As always, check with your insurance agent to find out how they handle this situation.

Mosher & Associates isn’t just insurance. It’s insurance, personalized. With offices in Argyle, Evansville, Monroe, and New Glarus, our Team of Specialists is ready to provide you with the best coverage for your unique situation. Check out our Mosher Assessment Process (MAP) at mosherinsurance.com/map/ to see how we can help you. Answer a few simple questions and we’ll start you on the path to insurance, personalized.